Friday, February 10, 2006

Mockingbird

Derek Webb: Mockingbird- check this CD out. I've actually had this album for a month or so now, and I am falling in love with it the more I listen to it. I have always been a fan of Derek- he is one of the few deep thinkers and true songwriters out there in the Christian music realm. It is so amazing how he can put into words the thoughts I have been grappling and thinking about for years. And he has slapped me in the face with his lyrics this time! I always have bought his albums and devoured it trying to find out the meaning of his often cryptic lyrical content. But this one really comes out and says some things the body of Christ really needs to hear with fresh ears. With songs like "New Law" he makes a charge for Christians to think for themselves- not settle for some homogenized faith. And he gets political at times with the song "King and A Kingdom". I'll let you listen to that one for yourself. No sense in starting something here! He often leaves his songs open-ended and up to interpretation. I believe this is a great catalyst to invoke discussion between people who call themselves followers of Jesus, but often have very different views on theology. So, if you want to try some great new music with thought provoking lyrics- try Mockingbird. You won't be sorry.

1 comment:

Justin said...

Derek Webb / Caedmon's Call are my favorites too. You should check this out if you didn't already know about it...
http://www.inthecompanyofangels2.com/feedback/. You can get a pre-release copy of Caedmon's new album if your a worship leader. It only took a couple of days for mine to come in.

I guess I'll be seeing ya at Winterfest. Take care brother.