Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A first-time reflection

This morning, we went to the doctor to get our 19 week ultrasound. This also is the visit that we find out if the baby is a boy or girl. So, we get up first thing in the morning and make our way to the doctors office. We walk right in and begin the procedure. I can't tell you how incredible it is to see your baby for the first time. Ten fingers- check. Ten toes- check. Heart beating correctly- check. Everything was in working order and developing perfectly. We have a healthy, beautiful baby girl. It was all REAL.

I stopped in my tracks just three days earlier, when we were unloading the last of our personal boxes and things from the storage unit in Nashville. Sean and the guys brought it up to us while in town for a concert at RCC. Sean had brought up a few extra items that, when I first saw them, didn't register as real to me. He pulled out a clean, white baby bed, complete with hardware, a Pack-n-Play, and a new stroller. Now, I had seen our child's ultrasound at the 8 week mark, and it began to register that I was to become a father soon, but there was still somewhat of a distance at that point. But now, in this two-hit combo, it all became really REAL.

I can't describe the paradigm shift I'm going through- I am seeing the world through a slightly different lens today. It is a lens countless men have put on throughout history and have never looked at the world quite the same way. It's like turning the corner of a long curve and, suddenly, the road opens up to this beautiful view. Your eyes follow the road down for many miles before the end vanishes from view. It's as if God, for a brief moment, pulls back the curtain to show a glimpse of the road ahead and what's to come. It's that moment, a watershed moment if you will, in which I realize I am now . . . a daddy.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Okay....now that I need the box of tissues. That just brought tears to my eyes. Chris...you are just going to be one of the greatest dad's.
One of the things that I love about you is how much you and Vicki is that you have an undying compassion for children. I always get worried when people come to visit and that they will find my kids...well...a bit annoying. Not once did you tell them not to jump on you, YET....you encouraged them to have fun and allowed yourself to be their jungle guy. And the cool thing is you never make me feel like they are a bother. You love my kids as if they were your own and that is what I would want you to do. It takes a community to raise up children and I love that they can see good role models from you two.
I hope that Chad and I can return the same favor in to you and Vicki and as we've been down some hard roads over the past 10 years...hopefully we can be a shoulder to cry on and maybe have a bit of parenting advice along the way.
All in all...I know that God is blessing you both so much with a beautiful child. A child of God. Of course...He is going to give you a glimpse of that!! It's a beautiful thing....enjoy and embrace every moment. They don't last long.
Love you!