Monday, December 11, 2006

King Tut

We went down to Chicago a couple of weekends ago to see our friends Ben and Nikki, but also to see the Tutanhkamen exhibit at the Field Museum. It was awesome! First of all, I am fascinated with ancient Egyptian culture, so it's easy for me to get excited about stuff like this. Vicki just had to humor me for a couple of hours (she really didn't mind it all that much) while we walked through the golden pieces of art and religious artifacts.

As we walked in, it felt as if the high priests were pulling back the curtain to the Most Holy Place to show us the ark of the covenant. What we were seeing had been hidden from sight for over 3500 years. A wooden chair, which should have disintegrated 2,000 years ago, stood proudly bearing the marks of the young king. His grandmother's casket, covered in gold and adorned with ancient spells from the Book of the Dead, sat in the middle of one room begging people to come closer. A crown, a dagger, and a golden necklace were prominently displayed in one of the final rooms. A creative video showed that Tut was buried adorning these priceless pieces. He wore them until they were pulled off his mummified body in the early 1900's. Man, I could've stayed in there all day!

I don't know if there is a hobby or a particular part of history or subject that you find fascinating. You know you don't regret it when you explore that world. What is that one thing for you?

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Sounds like you had a great time in Chicago and I loved the pictures by the way!
Unfortunately I'm not all that into History. I would like to one day visit Pearl Harbor and Washington DC. I'm more into government and presidents. Anything I can learn about them it pretty fascinating to me.

Brenda said...

You know...my blog is missing comments from you! ;o)

The Gladd's said...

i need to see some more postings... :)