Friday, May 20, 2005

I'm here in the digital lounge of the Emergent Conference. Pastors from every state and denomination are in here checking mail and listening to the new Jars of Clay hymns project. There are theological discussions going on in every cafe and couch in this place. I just love the energy, excitment, and the interactionat this conference! Brian McLaren is speaking tonight, and if you know anything about me, you know I'm jazzed! I've had a few discussions with people who are kinda scared of him and what he is talking about. He is one of the main leaders in the discussion of the whole postmodern matrix and how to be a Christian in that culture. Some of the questions he asks are very uncomfortable questions to deal with, but I believe they NEED to be asked. We need to wrestle with questions of absolute truth and whether or not certain traditions should be kept or eliminated. There are tons of people who truly feel that they can't turn to the church because, "they already feel bad, the church will only make me feel worse". The church needs to be a "safe place" for people to go when life is a mess. But it is viewed as a place of judgment, not of love. We need to check our ourselves when we unjustly judge someone for the type of clothes they wear or style of music they enjoy. Christians especially are good at putting labels on people and things. I must strive to be more and more like Jesus and simply love. Oh Great God, help me to be like that. . . . -chris

1 comment:

Tim said...

Amen Chris. The modern church has long been a place of judgment and rejection. I see many eyes opening and seeing where we have misstepped and trying to fall back into cadence with God. Many hearts have been left out due to lack of love and acceptance under the guise of "protecting truth".

I wish I could have experienced that digital conference. I'd also love to hear Brian McLaren speak in person so that I can get a sense of who he is as a person, not just from reading his books.

One of the other guys on our church planting team is considering George Fox University here in Oregon, where he mentioned Brian is teaching some grad-level courses. It's tempting enough to go after that master's just to sit at his feet for a while.

I pray all is well with you and Watershed. I love the new CD!