Tuesday, January 29, 2008

GULF COAST GETAWAY AND ARRIVING

One of my favorite events to lead worship at every year has to be Gulf Coast Getaway. 2,000 college students come to gather one cold January weekend in Panama City Beach, FL. They come from Christian student centers, Christian colleges, and even college ministries at church. Chris Seidman, Randy Harris, and Watershed for a whole weekend- whew! John Ross also painted 4 paintings simultaneously- one for each side of the stage. This conference always pushes us to bring new worship music too- in a good way. There’s no singing “I Will Call Upon The Lord” here! Instead, we sing songs like “Be Lifted High”, “Let God Arise”, and “At The Cross”. But what really makes this event different from others has to be the PASSION from those students. You can walk into the conference center and feel a spirit there that isn’t at other places.

You see, at a lot of youth rallies and conferences we go to, many teens are made to attend or only go because of the cute girls they may meet, etc., etc. And though that may happen at Gulf Coast- I can’t say that that is the main reason they go. College students go because they WANT to be there. It is obvious. The worship is always AWESOME- and not because I’m up there on stage at all. All we do is gently nudge the ball toward the hill, and they take it from there. THEY SING THEIR FACES OFF!

And I always love to glean more understanding from the “wise monk”, Randy Harris. In my opinion, he’s the best we have in the COC. He impresses me because it’s obvious, as he shares stories, that he is still on a journey to draw closer to God. He is open and honest with his struggles as he finds his way through faith. I think people love him so much because they identify with that. We often hear preachers and gifted speakers telling us how to live better, what to do, and what to say. But sometimes, it’s more powerful not to have an answer for everything, but be confessional in the their triumphs, their stumbles, their doubts, their own walk of faith.

It is my firm belief that if we ever feel like we have “arrived” spiritually, then we have lost our way.

Peace,

-chris

5 comments:

Zack said...

Sounds like it was an AWESOME experience. Wish I went.
I love Watershed! Got all the CDs y'all have done up to the present one that is out. Hope to get that one at some point. God bless you in all your doing with Watershed and at Rochester. Peace!
Zack
ps. I really like Randy Harris too! Great speaker! Very personable!

JB said...

Chris,
That is awesome man. I'm glad you and the guys get to be a part of something so special. Lisa and I attended a Leeland and Casting Crowns concert last night. I tell you what, there is something about being drawn closer to God through music that I will never get tired of. I wish I had attended more events growing up that were like Gulf Coast. I'm thankful that they have that chance! Keep up what you are doing brother!

Brenda said...

I can only imagine that it was an awesome experience. Wish I could have been there. We'll see you in about 8 weeks!

Love you!

Luke Coles said...

Wish I could have been there.

ctrlaltesc said...

I attended GCG last year and this year and greatly enjoyed it both times. I actually became a christian the Sunday morning before leaving last year.

I also wanted to let you know about what appears to be Watershed Worships last.fm page
http://www.last.fm/music/Watershed+Worship