Thursday, April 10, 2008

Idol Gives Back

It's no secret that I am a fan of American Idol. But I grew to love it even more with the addition of "Idol Gives Back". It is a night that focuses on social injustice and global relief efforts. My man Bono even makes an appearance! I teared up after every mini-documentary telling the story of the poor, the broken, and the marginalized in our world. And before you write it off as another sappy Oprah show, (who has made some pretty polarizing comments recently) I'd invite you to see Idol Gives Back. Last night was a powerful and moving evening. Dare I say worship service?

They closed the night singing Shout to the Lord. And yes, they changed the words "Jesus" to "shepherd", but they sang a worship song to close American Idol! I don't know who got that "OK'd", but it was . . . .well . . . . all I can say is WOW!

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh but I think it gets even better when they sang it last night and actually sang "Jesus"!
I put it on my blog if you want to see it!

Kara Graves said...

I think we definitely need to show that in church sometime...maybe in one of our next series that touch on our culture....just ideas

so...my top two would be David Cook and Carly (I think she can turn it around). But no matter what, Kristy needs to be voted off this week.

Anonymous said...

Chris - you are what the prophet Isaiah called a "dumb dog". You will have a greater damnation in hell then the average thug off the street. Gods wrath abides on you.

Chris said...

Anonymous, I pray you spend half as much time out saving the lost as you do reading people's blog's and blasting them. As I look though scripture, I see that we are to live and act and speak like Jesus. I firmly believe Jesus wouldn't say what you just said to me. I pray that God would grant you peace from whatever troubles you and that Satan would lose his foothold of anger that is in your heart.
- love, your brother in CHRIST
chris

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katherine said...

This is my first season to really be into American Idol and I have LOVED it-I was blown away when they sang this song that night-AMAZING!! :)

I found your blog through Mike Cope's and am a big fan of Watershed and even before when ya'll had AVB back again-Tony Brown is a good friend from way back. Blessings on you and your ministry!! Way to be Jesus to whoever "anonymous" is-may they come to know Christ and His love and joy in amazing ways. I, too will be praying for them.

Blessings, Chris~